I’m a stand-up comedian.
I’ve been performing as a stand-up comedian since the age of 18. I’ve performed in comedy clubs across the UK, including The Stand Comedy Clubs in Edinburgh & Glasgow, The Frog & Bucket in Manchester and many more. Here are a few stand-up snippets…
- In 2010 I was named Best Comedian at The Scottish Event Awards and appeared on ITV’s FHM Stand-Up Hero.
- In both 2008 & 2009 I was runner-up in the Scottish Comedian of the Year Final.
- In 2008, my Edinburgh Festival solo show at The Stand Comedy received **** from The List Magazine.
I’m a radio contributor.
I’ve appeared on BBC Radio Five, BBC Radio Scotland and more, being used as a contributor bringing some informed levity to a range of topics. I was Richard Bacon’s guest on BBC Radio Five on the night of the 2008 Uefa Cup Final, while I’ve also used my football knowledge to good effect when being the World Cup 2010 and Euro 2012 specialist for BBC Radio Scotland’s MacAulay & Co programme.
Among other programmes, I’ve appeared on the following BBC Radio Scotland shows…
- Good Morning Scotland discussing politics
- The Culture Café discussing art
- The Comedy Café discussing, well, comedy
In short, I’m able to work to a brief and deliver on it.
I’m a writer for television.
Following on from penning a winning short-film script for Channel 4’s ‘Ideas Factory: Laughs’ in 2004, I began pursuing writing for TV & Radio. In 2005, having written for three BBC Scotland TV shows in the previous 12 months, I was taken on full-time by The Comedy Unit production company as a script editor. My credits include…
- Freshly Squeezed, Channel 4
- Offside, BBC1 Scotland
- Only An Excuse, BBC1 Scotland
I’m a writer for radio.
I earned my first writing commission in 2005, writing for BBC Radio Scotland’s topical show, Watson’s Wind-Up. Since then, I’ve gone on to write for a variety of radio shows across BBC Radio Scotland and BBC Radio Five. My more recent work includes…
- Wired News, BBC Radio Scotland
- News Additional, BBC Radio Scotland
- Human Nature, BBC Radio Scotland
I’m a writer for other comedians.
Can I tell you who? In most cases…no, due to client confidentiality (the same confidentiality that I offer to you). There are examples of my joke writing on the site to reassure you of my abilities though.
One example I’m allowed to share with you is Alan Anderson’s show Whisky Fir Dummies which received a ***** review from comedy industry bible, Chortle, including a mention of the “solid material” the show contained.
I have written for some of the UK’s top comedians for their TV, events and private engagement appearances.
I’m a writer for special events.
I’ve written for comedians, presenters and members of the public for a variety of different events, including:
- Sportsman’s dinners, After-dinners etc
- Awards ceremonies
- Weddings or other celebratory events
I’m an article writer.
I’ve had articles published both online and in print across a variety of topics.
- I have a regular football column in the Dunfermline Press
- I’ve written restaurant reviews for The List Magazine and its Eating & Drinking Guide
- I’ve written on comedy and football for The Skinny Magazine.
I’m a social media professional.
With a mixture of jokes and chat I steered my own personal Twitter account to 2700+ followers. I’m also responsible for 95% of the Tweets on the football account @ScotComFC, which has 6000 followers. The other tweets on that page come from @Owen_McGuire & @GreatCollapso
Using this experience, I moved into freelance social media management and managed the Twitter account of top football agency Viola FC. As a result of my success, I’m now employed by Webwise Creative to work across social media and copywriting services for their clients.